Many times in our community, individuals lack financial resources to complete this important process in their journey. TransOhio has secured six grants so that resources are available to such individuals to get this legal hurdle completed even if lacking in all the funds to complete the same. Below is the policy (please read prior to completing the application) and link to the application itself. Please complete the application and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope this development will aid our community in making this process a little easier.
TransOhio Legal Financial Assistance Application Policies
- Applicants must have completed Application/Petition for Name Change either individually, through private counsel, through the assistance of pro bono counsel, or use of a TransOhio Legal Clinic, and must have all paperwork ready to be filed with Court at the time of completing the application for financial assistance.
- Applicants may seek full or partially funding to complete the process. The application for financial assistance can be found here.
- Applicants must demonstrate appropriate financial need before being awarded a scholarship. Submission of a financial assistance application is not a guarantee of funding. Applications may be denied, awarded in part, or awarded in full.
- All funds awarded by TransOhio must be used for the completion of the filing process for name change in your Ohio county of residence. We do not award funds for additional costs, such as replacing documents. We cannot reimburse the costs of Petitions for Name Change that have already been paid, regardless of hardship.
- All checks/money orders issued by TransOhio for this process are made out to the clerk of courts or other similar county governmental entity of the county of residence of the applicant and /or the newspaper of general circulation required by the county for purposes of publication and notice required by the county to complete the application for name change process. No checks can be issued to individuals.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that they seek the correct monetary amount and that checks/money order are made out to the correct entity.
- Applicants must utilize the least expensive method of publication if offered a choice of publications in the county they are completing the process.
- Funds must be used within 90 days of receipt. There are no “refunds,” and we cannot guarantee re-issue of checks/money orders that have expired or are otherwise not honored by the Court, as funding is limited and not always readily available.
- Applicants must attend their scheduled hearing for name change set by the court.
- Applicants can only apply for financial assistance for this process one time.
- If able, all applicants are encouraged to donate some funds back into “the pot,” so that others may also enjoy access to this important step in transition.
If you need financial assistance for a US Passport, please check out our Passport Financial Assistance Program.
More questions? Read our FAQ.