Reports to: Director of Programs and Outreach
Summary of Duties:
Reporting to the Director of Programs and Outreach, the Community & Volunteer Organizer is responsible and accountable for the management and implementation of special projects, events of the Equality Ohio Education Fund, and educational and advocacy-focused programming related to supporting the work necessary to create an Ohio where everyone feels at home. Primarily, the Community & Volunteer Organizer will be held accountable around the success of all volunteer recruitment and coordination efforts; the development and implementation of events and conferences specifically targeting the engagement of the LGBT and ally communities throughout Ohio. Secondarily, the Community & Volunteer Organizer will be responsible for assisting in the educational and advocacy programs and raising the organization’s online outreach and visibility via the regular updating of EOEF’s website and innovative uses of new media sources. Through a management contract with Equality Ohio, the Community & Volunteer Organizer is additionally responsible for all similar efforts related to the programs and events with Equality Ohio. This position is expected to be the staff lead on the development, planning and implementation of Equality Ohio’s annual series of general membership events. As with all staff positions at the Equality Ohio Education Fund, the Community & Volunteer Organizer is expected to participate in the fundraising activities of the organization to ensure the ongoing fiscal health and vitality of EOEF and EO.
1.) Event/Program Planning & Implementation:
a) Facilitate staff discussion about issues affecting events, and ensure that Equality Ohio’s priorities are reflected in the planning and presentation of events, including but not limited to, Lobby Day for Equality, Allies for Equality, educational receptions, press conferences, Leadership Summits, educational & advocacy conferences, Pride Festivals, Membership Events and pro-equality festivals around Ohio
b) Participate in discussion and decision-making about strategies, and opportunities related to the successful production of events; proactively identify potential conflicts, and other issues, and suggest alternatives to Equality Ohio’s ongoing event planning process
c) Develop and/or maintain highly professional standards and procedures for production of events in keeping with the image and reputation of Equality Ohio
d) In cooperation with other program staff, coordinate statewide programmatic tours, conferences and meetings that may involve multiple partners; work with diverse communities to provide programs support, help craft marketing and promotion, and manage program logistics
e) Assist in the development of curricula for educational and advocacy programming targeting the LGBT and ally communities throughout Ohio
f) Proactively assist to seek and secure educational and advocacy speaking engagements with a focus on outreach to the LGBT and ally communities throughout Ohio; this will include leadership development presentations related to Equality Ohio’s C.A.U.S.E. Project (College And University Students 4 Equality) and the annual C.A.U.S.E. Conference
g) Plan, coordinate and implement grassroots organizing activities including, but not limited to: phone banking, voter identification, petition campaigns.
h) Manage Equality Ohio’s annual series of general membership events; plan all membership events with the goal of increasing Equality Ohio’s name recognition and visibility with target demographics in key local areas throughout Ohio; increase the number of paying general members secured through membership events from one year to the next
i) Manage logistics related to event and program production including identifying and recommending suitable locations, coordination with the location contact, recommending menu and assuring onsite technical and media requirements are met; prepare name tags, participant lists, agendas and other printed material
j) Draft and distribute event/program announcements and invitations in a timely fashion and manage the RSVP process
k) Manage assigned events or programs according to budget and ensure that all major objectives and milestones are accomplished within deadline
l) Liaise with third-party vendors to arrange for catering, equipment rental and other vendor services when needed
m) Manage pre-event requirements, on-site registration, on-site requirements and support and post-event activities
n) Prepare pre- and post-event/program analysis, and assess opportunities; make recommendations for improving service to internal and external constituencies, and implement those improvements as appropriate
o) Prepare year-end reports, providing analysis and recommendations for future actions and improvements
p) Other duties as assigned
2.) Volunteer Recruitment & Coordination:
a) Develop and implement strategies for recruiting a broad base of volunteers to assist with a variety of organizational projects (event volunteers, office volunteers, canvassing/phone banking volunteers, Pride volunteers, membership event committees, etc.)
b) Draft volunteer job descriptions for volunteer opportunities and regularly post/refresh those details on the Equality Ohio website, VolunteerMatch.com, idealist.org and other sites; organize primary details for volunteer opportunities for inclusion in Equality Ohio’s monthly electronic newsletters
c) Organize Equality Ohio’s volunteer nights, including the management of volunteer projects, staff representation and ongoing calendaring of these volunteer opportunities; Collaborate with the Administrative Manager to effectively track the number of volunteer hours donated each month and the estimated financial value of that time
d) Draft volunteer recruitment announcements and utilize all available volunteer data to disseminate announcements to appropriate segmentations of Equality Ohio’s prospective volunteers list; Develop techniques for managing and organizing volunteer data such that communications with prospective and current volunteers is both efficient and effective
e) Manage Equality Ohio’s C.A.U.S.E. Project (College And University Students 4 Equality) and actively work to engage and register student volunteer teams from throughout Ohio; Track volunteer projects as part of this project and conduct effective evaluations of volunteer experiences following each university quarter/semester
f) Manage Equality Ohio’s Internship Program; Draft internship descriptions, distribute and post those descriptions via all appropriate resources; Conduct initial review and interviewing of internship applicants; ensure that internship experience evaluations are completed in a timely manner following each internship period
g) Organize and execute a minimum of two volunteer appreciation events each calendar year (in logical geographic locales in Ohio based on the organization’s current volunteer base), including the securing of underwriting or in-kind donations for venues, food & beverages, and other event elements
h) Keep abreast of nonprofit trends in volunteer recruitment, coordination, appreciation and evaluation and make recommendations to the Deputy Director about ways to enhance the Equality Ohio volunteer experience
i) Other duties as assigned
3.) Online Visibility Management: Assist with the following as needed
a) Maintain the Equality Ohio website, specifically the home page and subsequent web pages, with timely updates, news items, and announcements about the work of Equality Ohio to increase the number of visits and click-throughs to the organization’s website
b) Maintain the currency of technology accounts for the organization, including but not limited to, accounts on Facebook.com, MySpace.com, VolunteerMatch.com, Idealist.org, GuideStar.com, etc.; Ensure the timeliness and appeal of posted programmatic announcements and information on these sites and ensure security of the organization’s online accounts by monitoring and updating internal user names and passwords as needed
c) Manage the entries to the Equality Ohio blog with an emphasis on showcasing diverse perspectives and pro-equality focused entries from organizational staff, board and volunteers with the goal of expanding the communications reach of Equality Ohio’s online blog
d) Track web traffic, site visits and social networking site profile expansion in quantifiable ways to indicate growth in Equality Ohio’s online presence
e) Work with the Executive Director and Director of Programs and Outreach to establish and adhere to an organizational policy related to reciprocal linking to other like-minded non-profit organizations to expand the visibility of the Equality Ohio ‘brand’
f) Assist in the creation of web graphics and programmatic logos for use on Equality Ohio marketing and educational materials as directed by organizational leadership
g) Update and manage ancillary websites including dowhatsrightohio.com and the Equality Ohio Campaign Fund home page as directed by organizational leadership
h) Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of two (2) years of demonstrated success as either a volunteer coordinator, field organizer or community programs manager with increasing levels of responsibility and success (preferably working within political, government, nonprofit or membership associations), and an emphasis on online communications, volunteer engagement or community organizing
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience and accomplishment
- Strong program planning experience and a proven track record of using the internet in innovative ways to engage the public required
- Familiarity with online communications/social networking tools such as Facebook.com, MySpace.com preferred
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment in alignment with organizational values.
- A commitment to and understanding of Equality Ohio’s mission and efforts
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills; a high level of comfort with direct public interaction, including discussions of political, advocacy and activist-related viewpoints
- Excellent organizational & time management skills, including sharp attention to detail
- Excellent telephone manner
- Creativity, energy, confidence and integrity
- Initiative and independence, combined with the ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and to succeed under pressure
- Ability to be both engaging and professional when making presentations at events and meetings
- Ability to work well with persons from diverse backgrounds and to exhibit strong interpersonal skills
- Strong research background and experience with word processing, database and spreadsheet programs
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work well within and outside the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender communities as an advocate for social change
- Commitment to comply with the organization’s operating and HR policies and procedures
- Willingness to accept other tasks as assigned
- Upon hire, willingness to sign a confidentiality agreement and to uphold the expectations set forth in such an agreement.
This position requires substantial time flexibility as a significant portion of the job responsibilities require a substantial amount of evening and weekend work commitment, much of which will occur outside of central Ohio.
How Performance is to be evaluated:
- Meeting or exceeding Equality Ohio Education Fund’s annual online community organizing and volunteer recruitment goals
- Demonstrated increase in the number of individuals supporting Equality Ohio Education Fund with commitments of volunteer time and energy
- Meeting or exceeding Equality Ohio’s (c4) annual Membership Event goals (measured by number of membership events executed throughout the state, number of attendees at each event, and number of attendees converted to ‘paying’ general members to the organization)
- Demonstrated increase in the number of ‘online’ constituents regularly communicated with about the work of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to provide efficient and accurate administrative support
- Demonstrated ability to effectively support the online and volunteer needs of Equality Ohio and the Equality Ohio Campaign Fund as directed by the position’s supervisor and/or the Education Fund’s Executive Director
- Completion of tasks in a timely manner and within deadline
- Quality of written and oral communications
The Community & Volunteer Coordinator reports directly to the Director of Programs and Outreach and may assist in the direct supervision of work-study students or Equality Ohio interns from time to time.
Salary commensurate with experience within the range of $30-35,000/year. Benefits include escalating paid time off (PTO) beginning with 20 days per year on an accrual system during the first two years of employment; and a competitive comprehensive medical benefits plan, including a flexible spending account (FSA) and voluntary vision and dental plans (the premium costs of which are covered at a rate of 50% by the employer).
Name: Human Resources
Applicants should clearly indicate their salary requirements when submitting letters of interest and resumes.
No phone calls please.