Working Title: Stalled
Editors: K. Bridgeman and A. Lee Crayton
Contact: stalled.the.book [at] gmail [dot] com
Submission Deadline: December 31, 2010
The range of gender non-conforming folks is broad. We are men, women, genderqueers, two-spirits, trans women/transwomen, trans men/transmen, intersex, bois, grrrls, butchs, faeries, FtMs, MtFs, tomboys, drag queens, transvestites, transexuals, queers, none or maybe all of the above.* In a society that preaches gender as rigid, fighting for gender self-determination can be challenging. For some the process is finite, traveling from point A to point B, while others wade continuously through the mire or transcend altogether. But despite the trajectory of our own personal journey, we all experience the polarizing demands of the binary.
One way these demands are evident is in sex-segregated spaces: changing stalls, detention centers, restrooms, group homes, homeless shelters, locker rooms, and security checkpoints.* These places can be hard to avoid, and interaction with them demands we make a choice about how we will present ourselves. With this anthology, we want to explore the sometimes difficult, layered, isolating, heart breaking, frightening, awkward, frustrating, challenging, funny, and/or queer experiences people are faced with in these settings. Stalled is a space for us to share our stories.
Gender-nonconforming individuals of all ages, published and unpublished, are encouraged to contribute to Stalled.
We welcome submissions of all types:
- art pieces
- however you feel most comfortable expressing your personal experiences around sex-segregated spaces
Submissions should be non-fiction and based on actual experience. However, we respect the author’s prerogative to maintain characters’ anonymity.
* We recognize these descriptions are not exhaustive and to acknowledge that they are not intended to be restrictive. We encourage and hope to engage a broad range of experiences and identities.
- Submissions should be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Written submissions should be 1500 words or less, and submitted as a .doc or .docx file with pages numbered. Illustrations should be submitted in jpeg format.
- You may submit up to 2 different pieces of work.
- We welcome both published and unpublished authors; however, if the piece you’re submitting has been published, please note where and when.
- In your cover email, please include Author’s Name, Pen Name (if applicable), Title of Submission, email address, and a brief Bio (150 words or less).
Submissions will be accepted throughout the year.
The final deadline is December 31, 2010 (11:59:59 pm EST).
All submissions will be responded to by the end of April 2011. Early submissions are encouraged.