Below is the 16 page summary of the 2015 survey of the community and a full ( 302 page report) is available under the NCTE tab of the website.
TransOhio and its community partner Equitas have set up free legal clinics around the state of Ohio in the last part of 2016 and first six months of 2017. Please see previous post regarding same. Many times in our community, individuals lack financial resources to complete this important process in their journey. TransOhio has secured two grants and is seeking a third so that resources are available to such individuals to get this legal hurdle completed even if lacking in all the funds to complete the same. Below is the policy (please read prior to completing the application) and link to the application itself. Please complete the application and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope this development will aid our community in making this process a little easier. Again, if you need assistance in completing your paperwork for such process, contact Carly Edelstein@Equitashealth.com (Carly is legal clinic coordinator for Equitas) for assistance or attend one of the free legal clinics scheduled around the state to meet with counsel to assist you.
TransOhio Legal Documents Financial Assistance Application Policies
- Applicant must have completed Application/ Petition for Name Change either individually, through private counsel, through the assistance of pro bono counsel or use of Equitas Legal Clinic Coordinator or at one of the TransOhio / Equitas Legal Clinics and must have all paperwork ready to be filed with Court at the time of completing the application for financial assistance.
- Applicants may seek partial or full funding to complete the process.
- All such funds awarded by TransOhio must be used for the completion of the filing process for name change in your Ohio county of residence and/or publication of notice of hearing or driver’s license name an gender marker change through Ohio BMV.
- All checks issued by TransOhio for this process are made out to the clerk of courts or other similar county governmental entity of the county of residence of the applicant and /or the newspaper of general circulation required by the county for purposes of publication and notice required by the county to complete the application for name change process. No checks can be issued to individuals.
- Applicants must utilize the least expensive method of publication if offered a choice of publications in the county they are completing the process.
- Applicants must attend their scheduled hearing for name change set by the court.
- Applicants can only apply for financial assistance for this process one time. to-legal-clinics-fa-app
TransOhio and it’s fabulous community partner, Equitas Health, announce the details for their Free Legal Name and Gender Marker Change Clinics to be held around the state of Ohio in the upcoming months. The dates are as follows:
12/07/16 – Columbus – Equitas Health 4400 North High St. Suite 300, 6-8 PM
01/05/17- Dayton – Equitas Health,15 W. 4th St. Suite 200, 6-8 PM
02/01/17 -Akron/ Canton- Equitas Health 1815 W. Market St. Suite 207, Akron, OH , 6-8 PM
03/01/17- Cleveland- ACLU Office – 4506 Chester Ave. 6-8 PM (Community Partner -ACLU)
03-22-17- Columbus – Equitas Health (See above) 6-8 PM
03/29/17- Cincinnati- Heartland Trans Wellness -103 William Howard Taft Rd. 6- 8 PM (Community Partner- Heartland Trans Wellness)
April 2017 Toledo – 6- 8 PM – Location TBD
May 2017- Youngstown- 6- 8 PM Location TBD
06/13/17- Dayton- Equitas Health- 15 W. 4th St. Suite 200, 6-8 PM
TransOhio has received two grants and is in the process of getting these funds as well as applying for an additional grant. These grants are designed to provide financial assistance to community members who need funds to help complete the process of name changes through sponsorship of court filing and publication fees. An application for such funding will be posted in next few weeks to our website and social media as well being available at the clinics set forth above.
TransOhio will continue to update the community on upcoming TDOR events throughout Ohio but here is what we know so far. (Updated October 6, 2016)
Columbus – TransOhio will host TDOR on Friday November 18th at 6:45 PM at King Avenue United Methodist Church with a light reception following. Child care available.
Cleveland -Margie’s Hope and Community partners of Cleveland will be holding TDOR on Friday November 18th starting at 5;30 PM. The event will begin with a gathering at Huntington Park at corner of lakeside and West 3rd and march to the Cleveland City Hall Rotunda for the vigil.
Cincinnati/ No. Ky – Heartland Trans Wellness will be leading the event at the Campus of Northern Kentucky University starting at 2:00 PM and there will be several events throughout the afternoon. The events include a religious ceremony, a main ceremony, and reception. The event should conclude by 6:00 PM . The location is NKU’s Student center.
Toledo- The event will take place at the University of Toledo at 8:00 PM on Sunday , November 20th in the Ingham Room on campus.
More details will be posted as they become available.
During open Legal Clinic hours, trained attorneys will provide one-on-one counseling about the gender- and name-changing process. The clinic will be:
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016
6 – 8 PM
Equitas Health Clintonville Office
4400 N High St
Columbus, OH 43214
To register email email@example.com or call (614) 340-6744. Registration is preferred, but walk-ins are welcome.
TransOhio is proud to be a community partner for these clinics.