TransOhio and it’s fabulous community partner, Equitas Health, announce the details for their Free Legal Name and Gender Marker Change Clinics to be held around the state of Ohio in the upcoming months. The dates are as follows:
01/05/17- Dayton – Equitas Health,1222 South Patterson Blvd. Suite 230, 6-8 PM (NOTE NEW UPDATED LOCATION)
02/01/17 -Akron/ Canton- Equitas Health 1815 W. Market St. Suite 207, Akron, OH , 6-8 PM
02/21/17- Athens – United Campus Ministry office on campus of Ohio Univ. -Noon-4 PM 18 N. College St.Athens, OH 45701
03/01/17- Cleveland- ACLU Office – 4506 Chester Ave. 6-8 PM (Community Partner -ACLU)
03-22-17- Columbus – Equitas Health 4400 N. High St. Suite 300 6-8 PM
03/29/17- Cincinnati- Heartland Trans Wellness -103 William Howard Taft Rd. 6- 8 PM (Community Partner- Heartland Trans Wellness)
April 2017 Toledo – 6- 8 PM – Location TBD 05/10/ 17 – Youngstown, OH -Full Spectrum Community Outreach @St. John’s Episcopal Church 323 Wick Ave. Youngstown, OH 44503, 6-8 PM (Full Spectrum Community Outreach Community Partner)
05/17/17- Mansfield 1-4 PM 10 Park Ave W #5, Mansfield, OH 44906
6/13/17- Dayton- Equitas Health- ( See updated address above), 6-8 PM
Others may be added and updated from time to time.
TransOhio and its community partner Equitas have set up free legal clinics around the state of Ohio in the last part of 2016 and first six months of 2017. Please see previous post regarding same. Many times in our community, individuals lack financial resources to complete this important process in their journey. TransOhio has secured two grants and is seeking a third so that resources are available to such individuals to get this legal hurdle completed even if lacking in all the funds to complete the same. Below is the policy (please read prior to completing the application) and link to the application itself. Please complete the application and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope this development will aid our community in making this process a little easier. Again, if you need assistance in completing your paperwork for such process, contact Carly Edelstein@Equitashealth.com (Carly is legal clinic coordinator for Equitas) for assistance or attend one of the free legal clinics scheduled around the state to meet with counsel to assist you.
TransOhio Legal Documents Financial Assistance Application Policies
- Applicant must have completed Application/ Petition for Name Change either individually, through private counsel, through the assistance of pro bono counsel or use of Equitas Legal Clinic Coordinator or at one of the TransOhio / Equitas Legal Clinics and must have all paperwork ready to be filed with Court at the time of completing the application for financial assistance.
- Applicants may seek partial or full funding to complete the process.
- All such funds awarded by TransOhio must be used for the completion of the filing process for name change in your Ohio county of residence and/or publication of notice of hearing or driver’s license name an gender marker change through Ohio BMV.
- All checks issued by TransOhio for this process are made out to the clerk of courts or other similar county governmental entity of the county of residence of the applicant and /or the newspaper of general circulation required by the county for purposes of publication and notice required by the county to complete the application for name change process. No checks can be issued to individuals.
- Applicants must utilize the least expensive method of publication if offered a choice of publications in the county they are completing the process.
- Applicants must attend their scheduled hearing for name change set by the court.
- Applicants can only apply for financial assistance for this process one time.
The form for the application for financial assistance is below